Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

4/07/2005

Let my soul hunger for it

Anselm of CanterburyAnselm, an Archbishop of Canterbury (1033-1109), is best remembered for his book Cur Deus Homo (Why God became Man) and his logical proof of the existence of God. Though a philosopher and logician Anselm was a person who first and foremost hungered for God and sought to deepen his relationship with God. It is sometimes comforting to think of the many who have shared the path we are on. Here is a look into Anselm's heart. This prayer closed his book Proslogion (written in 1079):
I pray, O God, that I may know You and love You, so that I may rejoice in You. And if I cannot do so fully in this life may I gradually progress until it comes to fullness. Let the knowledge of You grow in me here, and there be made complete; let Your love grow in me here and there be made complete, so that here my joy may be great in hope, and there be complete in reality. Lord, by Your Son You command, or rather, counsel us to ask and you promise we shall receive so that our joy 'may be complete.' I ask, Lord, as You counsel through Your admirable counselor. May I receive what You promise through Your truth so that my 'joy may be complete.' God of truth, I ask that I may receive so that my 'joy may be complete.' Until then let my mind so meditate on it, let my tongue speak of it, let my heart love it, let my mouth preach it. Let my soul hunger for it, let my flesh thirst for it, my whole being desire it, until I enter into the 'joy of the Lord,' who is God, Three in One, 'blessed forever. Amen.'
Two other items: For those who are interested, the handout from last night's class of Christian Ethics is online. There was a great turnout and that class got off to a good start. You may join the class at any time. Also, Frank filled in as a guest question answerer at askthepriest.org to take on "What is the true meaning of religious vocation?."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home