Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/25/2005

I have not come to bring peace

In our Gospel reading for tomorrow Jesus says that most embarassing declaration for King of Peace Church,
Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.
The context does not explain away the saying or take away the sting of the words. Jesus is clear that being his follower is demanding. He goes on to say,
Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me.
The cross leads to calvary and death and yet Jesus wants us to make the same choice that he did. We are to choose obedience to God's will over all other options. Two sermons in the archives, God's peace is no peace and Hope for Fishy People, in different ways look at the challenge of choosing God's peace over every lesser peace.

New Links
The new issue of The Olive Branch is now online and will be available at the church on Sunday and then will go in the mail.
Photos from Troop 226's camping trip this week to Cumberland Island are online.
Introducing the Bible, The Tribune & Georgian religion column for this week, is also now online.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home