Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

7/20/2005

To be in communion

Last Summer I was invited to travel to Honduras with a group from my church. While I was excited about the opportunity to visit our sister parishes outside of the city of San Pedro Sula, I had never left the United States before and my Spanish was only sophisticated enough to order food from Taco Bell. I was terrified.

Window in San LucasArriving at the church of San Lucas, which was located in a tiny community with no running water or electricity, I was thrust into intense culture shock. All of my preconceived notions about forming bonds in the Church were thrown out the window. There were no newcomer’s cards, potluck luncheons or “get to know you” chats over coffee hour. I couldn’t understand a word that anyone said and felt lost, thinking I would have no way to make any real connections.

As the days went on I quickly learned that a common language wasn’t necessary. Cleaning the skinned knee of an 8 year old boy, planting flowers around the church with two 15 year old girls, visiting the homes of the people in the congregation…simple shared experiences, just spending time in the presence of one another and not worrying about keeping up idle small talk. By the time we left I had picked up enough Spanish to say the Lord’s Prayer and sing a few hymns but that is not what has stuck with me. Instead I remember being welcomed into the community through silent smiles, handshakes and hugs, driven by our shared love of God. To me those moments are the true embodiment of what it means to be in communion, to be connected as brothers and sisters in Christ.

Loren Hague, Intern
King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home