Keeping a Sense of Humor
Amongst all this, people have kept their sense of humor. It is a remarkable human gift to make light of what can’t be changed. Here are some examples:
- We were driving down Highway 90 to Biloxi and saw the local goofy golf, Fun Time USA, and still standing was Humpty Dumpty, still on his wall.
- In Biloxi, the Ronald McDonald statute still stands and welcomes people, but the building is just beams and strewn about bricks.
- One torn up house has a sign in front: "Extreme Home Makeover".
- A Dodge Ram truck with a large tree imbedded across it has a sign, "Ram tough, not Katrina tough."
- A sign in front of one house has " Coast 0, Katrina 1, 1st half."
- One store had a sign that said, " No shoes, No shirt, No-rmal."
- We have borrowed the garden club sign that says "Yard of the Month" and are sticking it in front of friends houses and taking pictures of the sign in front of a damaged house, trees down, and piles of debris. We will frame and present them later.
- As we were making deliveries one day, our church van sputtered and spat and turned over and over with out starting. One of the ministers put his hands together like prayer and it turned over, then they laughed and laughed.