Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/26/2006

The Gift of Fasting

One of the most meaningful gifts I have received was a note from someone while I was on a retreat promising to fast and pray for me that day. This person went without food for a day to pray for me and my retreat. What an awesome present.

Fasting itself is a gift not everyone has. Some people can not fast and if you have health problems including diabetes or a condition including pregnancy which procludes fasting, don't worry about it. But for the rest of us, Ash Wednesday, which is a few days away, is one of two days each year which the Book of Common Prayer suggests as fast days (the other is Good Friday).

You may observe this by not eating (but still drinking water or juice) during the entire 24 hours of Wednesday, which is my usual practice for fast days. You may also introduce yourself to the practice by skipping lunch or with perhaps a sunrise to sunset fast. The time without food is more meaningful if you make it a time of prayer and fasting by using the time in which you would be eating to pray.

I find fasting a good way to focus myself back on my relationship with God, with each grumble of my belly as a reminder that I desire to put my need for time with God first. Fasting is not about spiritual heroics or earning God's favor. It is a meaningful way to begin the season of Lent and for those who have no physical impediment to at least a partial fast, I suggest that you prayerfully consider some type of fast for Wednesday.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home