Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/04/2006

Responding to love

In tomorrow's gospel reading Jesus goes to Simon Peter's house after attending synagogue worship services in Capernaum. There he heals Peter's mother-in-law. The Rev. Barbara Beam, Vicar of St. Nicholas' Church, in Noel, Missouri has a first person sermon from the perspective of Peter's mother-in-law which says in part,
He took my hand. He smiled. He lifted me up. I forgot about my fever. I forgot about my aches and pains. I forgot that I was worried about Simon. I just wanted to do something for this man who had touched me in a way that no one had touched me before. I had to make some kind of response to his love. So I did what I best knew how to do. I got up and I served him; yes, and his friends, too.
The full sermon is well worth reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home