Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

7/25/2006

As the spirit moves

The Washington Post recently carried an article Cyber-Savvy Pastors Blog When the Spirit Moves Them. The article captured something of the power of the blog in stating
Pastor Ben Arment spends several hours each week carefully preparing his Sunday sermon for the 100 members of History Church in Oak Hill. In contrast, he takes just minutes to jot down a few thoughts on faith for his blog; within 24 hours, his message has reached about 300 people.
The article describes some of the types of posts typical in a pastor's blog
Entries sometimes include Bible passages or mini-sermons as well as song lyrics, links to articles or other blogs and personal anecdotes that contain a message about how the bloggers think people should live their lives.
I actually blog daily whether the Spirit moves me or not, which is why this space often has quotes from others rather than my own thoughts. While it takes relatively little time compared to tasks like sermon preparation, I do consider this space an important part of my ministry, though that may be more for me than Irenic Thoughts' readers.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

7 Comments:

  • At 7/25/2006 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with Celeste and with Father Frank. I look forward to reading the new postings everyday and I think it is an important part of his ministry. It's always nice to have a calm, compassionate and well reasoned voice in the middle of the storm.

    I wonder if Christ would have used the internet to spread his message?

     
  • At 7/25/2006 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    William ...

    I wonder if Christ would have used the internet to spread his message?

    I cannot help but think that Christ certainly is using the internet to spread the Gospel through Fr. Frank with Irenic Thoughts and other ministers who have their sites, as well.

    As the spirit moves ... there is no coincidence.

    Just a thought...

     
  • At 7/25/2006 1:46 PM, Blogger Cathy said…

    I definitely think of your blog as an important part of your ministry to others. Do you know how many people your reach daily? weekly?

     
  • At 7/25/2006 3:55 PM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Cathy,

    I have not found where stats are compiled for blogspot sites. So, I don't know how many people stop in each day or week. I know that our main website www.kingofpeace.org served 10,377 pages in the previous seven days, which makes it a slow week for that website. I imagine the numbers for this blog are much lower, but don't know how to find out.

    peace,
    Frank+

     
  • At 7/26/2006 12:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Greetings! This is Leeann from Tifton (met Frank at EFM training). I have been reading the blog fairly regularly for the past month and am grateful for it. I appreciate the quotes as well as the original musings. I have also recently discovered a blog "ring" (sort of a friendship circle) called "revgalpalblog," self-described as an "open table set for a diverse group of people -- women pursuing or discerning a religious vocation -- and their friends." There must be well over a hundred bloggers in this circle from across the country and world, even a few in Georgia. They're at http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/.I particularly like the tank top they sell: "Does this pulpit make my butt look big?"

    Anyway, my guess is that Irenic Thoughts has lots of appreciative lurkers like me.

     
  • At 7/26/2006 7:11 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Leeann, I wouldn't have known you were lurking around. Thanks for the RevGalPals link! I will put it in a form easier for folks to use: http://revgalblogpals.blogspot.com/. Thanks for not just stopping by, but also for entering the conversation with the link.

    peace,
    Frank+

     
  • At 7/26/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    Frank,
    I use sitemeter to get my stats - it is interesting how people show up to one's site. Bet you get more hits than you think.
    Sitemeter.com

    RevGalBlogpals is one of my favorite stops each day - not all of them are women!! They have just reached non profit status and are on their second book or writings for the lectionary readings!

    Another of my favorite blogs is questingparson.org. - great stories!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home