Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/11/2006

Have I Sinned?

What sort of sin does a 78-year old woman commit during a hospital stay? Well it begins with a visit from a pastor other than her own who:
just kept on preaching, ranting is a better word. You know, my mother raised me to never be rude to folks, especially a pastor. But I was getting a little mad. He didn’t know anything about my church and here he was just giving us down the country.
You may read the rest at The Questing Parson here: Have I Sinned?

2 Comments:

  • At 8/11/2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Do I sin when I turn off certain televangelists? Is it some kind of secret sin when, in my heart, I doubt the sincerity of certain prayers that I hear?

    I don't always know but I do try to "ask God about it later." Faith and our responses to it are so personal that it's hard to spend too much time tending to someone else's garden. Do you think that's why Jesus always met with people personally and got to know them?

    Don't complain about the speck in your brother's eye - you might have a hard time getting to it over the board in your own.

     
  • At 8/11/2006 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This story really speaks to me, having just finished an internship as a hospital chaplain. I heard from several patients who'd had similar experiences. Each patient spoke with pain in his or her voice when recalling the discomfort of being cornered while lying in a hospital bed. They felt hurt, angry, confused and helpless as they were told that their faith was not valid, not strong enough, not of the right variety, etc.

    Do I doubt the sincerity of these ministers? Not at all. But I do disagree with the method of evangelism. Seems to be furthering an agenda rather than helping people in need. If I were in the patient's place I think I would have pushed the button too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home