Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

4/15/2007

I’ve never met a pastor who needed help

click here to see more Easter photos of King of Peace
From Put on Your Own Oxygen Mask First: Rediscovering Ministry, Bill Easum, with Linnea Nilsen Capshaw, Nashville, Abingdon Press, 2004, pg. 14:
“You know, one of the issues here is that everyone relies too much on the pastor to do all the ministry.”

Before I could finish the man blurted out, “I’m aware our pastor needs help, but we can’t afford to hire any more staff."

I couldn’t let that one go unanswered, so I responded, “I’ve never met a pastor who needed help. You don’t need more staff. All you need to do is equip your congregation to do ministry.”

For a brief moment the man looked at me dumbfounded and perplexed. Then with a hint of sadness in his voice he uttered the most despicable statement a Christian can make: "But we’re just laypeople. We’re not called to the ministry and we certainly aren’t professionals.”
I found this quoted at the blog for Methodist Bishop William Willimon. He has more to say on it here: The point of pastoral ministry: Lay ministry

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 4/18/2007 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't mind ministering to one another, but I'll leave the hard stuff to the trained pastor. It's in the job description.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home