Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/27/2007

Neighborhood Church

Swiss Guardsman The Swiss Guard made for a fairly intimidating (if colorful)
group of greeters at our neighborhood church in Rome.

I hope y'all don't mind if I tell some hear about my recent trip to Italy and France. First, there is the church we stayed closest to in Rome. When we lived in Rome, Georgia, St. Peter's Episcopal Church was our church home, so it was natural that the other Saint Peter's would become our church while in the other Rome.

Inside the St. Peter's BasilicaWe slept close against the walls of Vatican City with our lovely neighborhood church being Saint Peter's Basilica. We were present to here an absolutely beautiful choir sing for an afternoon Mass. We also stumbled in on a Wednesday general audience and were able to stand just about 25 feet from where Benedict XVI passed by waving cheerfully as he was driven amongst the crowd in a cart down at our height. It was a good way of working the crowd. He didn't get as good a look at me as he might have liked, but I saw him pretty well.

Honestly, I have long had a problem with this church. It's construction touched off the Reformation, which divided the Christians in the west and led to much strife and bloodshed. (For more on that see the sermon in the archives One Simple Truth). But, they did build an amazing basilica. My pictures here can not begin to capture the scale of the immense worship space. And then there are the details like the famous Pieta, showing Jesus in his mother's arms being just inside the entrance on the right.

And then that Catholic desire to entomb saints under altars had me standing at an altar containing the bones of Saint Gregory Naizianzus. Little known in general, he was a towering theologian of the early church and I admire his life and writings and was more struck by standing there at his grave/altar than I would have thought possible. Touring Catholic Italy would give me pause to consider this more than once and I'll come back around to the saints and saints relics again.

Waiting in line to confess at Saint Peter'sBut I know I am not the only well traveled on here in this corner of cyberspace. What are others' impressions of Saint Peter's or other cathedrals on such a grand scale? Do they leave you breathless with God's presence? Wondering at human construction ability?

Where do you routinely experience God's presence most fully?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Below are some more photos from our
little neighborhood church in Rome:
Saint Peter's Square The faithful waving at the pontiff
A bride and groom waiting to see the pope Waiting to see the Pope
Saint Peter's Square Saint Peter's Square
Victoria and Griffin in Saint Peter's Square

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

  • At 6/28/2007 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Basilica of the Transfiguration on Mount Tabor in Israel left me breathless. Was it the enormity of the space, the perfection of the mosaics, or the sense that it memorialized something absolutely awesome? I have never sorted that out, but I was ordained priest on the Eve of the Feast of the Transfiguration of Jesus, so I have a special affection for that Basilica.

    In peace,
    Linda+

     
  • At 6/28/2007 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I will never forget the thrill of having Yorkminster almost all to myself at 7 a.m. About 12 of us were gathered in one of the side chapels for daily communion. As if that wasn't enough of a gift I was then able to wander the cathedral before the rest of the tourists arrived. Priceless!
    MKL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home