Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/01/2007

Surveying American Christians

For the hearts of these people are hardened,
and their ears cannot hear,
and they have closed their eyes—so their eyes cannot see,
and their ears cannot hear,
and their hearts cannot understand,
and they cannot turn to me and let me heal them.
—Jesus in Matthew 13:15 (New Living Translation)

The Barna Group's latest version of an annual study of spirituality in America is out. You can read the summary at their website here: Americans Stay Spiritually Active, But Biblical Views Wane According to the survey,
Currently two-thirds of Americans believe that God is best described as the all-powerful, all-knowing perfect creator of the universe who rules the world today (66%). However, this proportion is lower than it was a year ago (71%) and represents the lowest percentage in more than twenty years of similar surveys.
Is going to church a drag?The survey also found that,
More than four out of every five Americans (83%) said they had prayed in the last week. This was followed by attending a church service (43%) and reading the Bible outside of church worship services (41%). Notably, just one-quarter of adults possess an active faith, meaning they engage in all three of these activities (pray, attend church, and read the Bible in a typical week).
The director of the study David Kinnaman, writes a fairly scathing summary of his finding saying,
Most Americans do not have strong and clear beliefs, largely because they do not possess a coherent biblical worldview. That is, they lack a consistent and holistic understanding of their faith. Millions of Americans say they are personally committed to Jesus Christ, but they believe he sinned while on earth....

In fact, one reason why beliefs fluctuate is that most Americans’ hold few convictions about their faith. For instance, even among those who disagree with orthodox views, many do so while hedging their bets. Most Americans have one foot in the biblical camp, and one foot outside it. They say they are committed, but to what? They are spiritually active, but to what end? The spiritual profile of American Christianity is not unlike a lukewarm church that the Bible warns about.
I don't doubt that the numbers accurately reflect the 1006 people they surveyed. But I thought the picture would have been less rosy. On the one hand, I think around here more than 2/3s of people would say they believe in God described as "the all-powerful, all-knowing perfect creator of the universe who rules the world today." Yet if 43% of Camden Countians were in church in the last week, that would have been more than 21,000 people in our 115 churches or 187 people on average in each church. I know some of us have that many in church, but we all don't. So knowing that we're in the Bible Belt and the survey is national, it just made me wonder.

What do you think? Do these numbers reflect people you know? Do you think that Kinnaman is right? Are American Christians more wishy washy than faithful?

And if you want to see something that'll make you feel good about what is possible? Try this video clip Religion & Ethics NewsWeekley. It's about an atheist's conversion to Christianity. The story is primarily about the food kitchen she runs in St. Gregory of Nyssa Episcopal Church in San Fransisco where the food is served on the altar of the church. You can read the transcript and see photos or watch the portion of the PBS show on her via video.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

[Jesus] felt great pity for the crowds that came,
because their problems were so great
and they didn't know where to go for help.
They were like sheep without a shepherd.
—Matthew 9:36 (New Living Translation)

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At 6/01/2007 8:21 AM, Blogger anything but typical said…

    Unfortunately, I think the survey is skewed to the positive.

    I am constantly amazed at the church people who can't articulate what they believe, or who continue to go to a church where they actively disagree with the doctrine as taught. Many times, we are not there for spiritual growth. While being part of a church family is crucial to being a member of Christ's Body, church is not a social club. It is not a pick and choose buffet line of beliefs. And while we all have differing levels of maturity and understanding, we all have to be making an effort along the way to keep up the journey towards spiritual maturity remembering that God is the absolute arbiter of truth. We do not dictate truth to Him based on how we feel or what we want to get away with. And we should either believe and be obedient and faithful as we profess, or we should stop pretending.

    It goes back to the old idea of what is a Christian. A Christian is one who follows Christ. If we have been in His presence, if His Holy Spirit dwells in us, and our lives have not been changed, what are we doing? Have we REALLY encountered the Everliving and Almighty One? Or are we just taking up a chair on Sunday morning?

     
  • At 6/01/2007 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmmmmm...if we are truly spiritually mature would we sit in judgment of others for their reasons to be in church in the first place?

     
  • At 6/01/2007 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm just taking up a chair.

    I do this because I can not yet articulate what I believe.

    While sitting in this chair I may gain a new perspective on a doctrine I once disagreed with.

    If you look, you find me taking up a chair, not for the purpose of seeking spiritual growth, but for the for pure inner comfort I gain from knowing that no matter what stage of faith of beliefs I am in,there is always a chair.

    If you listen, you may hear me dictating my perception of truth to God, or even asking for forgivness for somethng I may wish to run from.

    There is a chair for me because I don't always know what I believe or how to be obedient.

    That chair is there for me because I don't know how to be as faithful as a profess.

    It is not that I am pretending to be something I am not, I am just trying to become the someone I should be.

    So if you don't mind, I will continue to just take up a chair on Sunday, and I welcome you to take up one too.

    Robin Rapp

     
  • At 6/01/2007 11:04 PM, Blogger anything but typical said…

    I think you missed my point.

    If you're doing all those things you say, then you are not JUST taking up a chair.

     
  • At 6/02/2007 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anything But Typical,

    I think you missed the point. If somebody is taking up a chair in church, then God has them there for a reason and will work through them His way. People who only want to socialize will join social clubs. People who are drawn to churches obviously have a higher need to be fullfilled. God will see to that in His time.

    And, why are you "constantly amazed at the church people who can't articulate what they believe?" Faith is an ongoing learning process, and the work of the Holy Spirit can sometimes render us silent. And, why do we have to tell anybody anything? It's personal, between God and the individual.

     
  • At 6/02/2007 3:26 PM, Blogger anything but typical said…

    Frank's original question was soliciting opinions about whether American Christians as a whole are wishy-washy and why and as to that regard, I stand by my original statement. It has nothing to do with genuine seekers.

    As far as my faith being personal, Jesus said that if we are ashamed of him on earth, he would be ashamed of us before the Father in Heaven. I don't want Christ to be ashamed of me, therefore, I choose not to keep my faith to myself.

    I have obviously touched some nerves and I am sorry if I have offended anyone.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home