Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/09/2007

Personality as Gift

Now there are different kinds of spiritual gifts,
but it is the same Holy Spirit who is the source of them all.
There are different kinds of service in the church,
but it is the same Lord we are serving.
There are different ways God works in our lives,
but it is the same God who does the work through all of us.
A spiritual gift is given to each of us
as a means of helping the entire church
—I Corinthians 12:4-7

Click to view my Personality Profile page

After seeing Jim wearing his personality on his blog like his heart on his sleeve, I decided to take the quiz and found the results not surprising. The personality test found me to be an ENFP in the Myers Briggs test, again. For some reason Episcopal Churches like this test for use in a discernment process. It's a way of helping someone become aware of his or her self and the way God made him or her. I find it more helpful to show the different types of people we need on a team. When working on volunteer boards, I like to see a mix of people who are introverted and extroverted a mix of thinking and intuitive, etc. We need those different ways of seeing things to come together.

This blend of gifts fits with what I read in scripture about the ways God made us each unique and then we bring our different gifts together and wonderful things happen. God never gives the answer to one person; Or usually even the question to one person. Instead, we each have a part to play because Advocate-Visionary that I am, I need detail people, numbers people, etc. And Visual-Spatial person that I am in multiple intelligences, it's not surprising I write or preach. But I am not a musician and need people with those gifts. And so it goes. Each of us has abilities to bring to the table. But each of us has the lack of ability in some areas. I think it reveals that God created us in such a way to draw us to each other. People always not only wanted to be together, but needed it.

What gifts has God given you? How could you use the you God made you to be to better serve others?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

1 Comments:

  • At 8/09/2007 3:38 PM, Blogger Joshua Migallos Ligan said…

    I agree with you, but sometimes I think that people tend to forget that what's more important is character, and that it is not interchangeable with personality. People say that "She or he has a good personality", but how do you carry out the gift of personality? Through your character.

    Character is what brings out the best gifts in you! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home