Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/22/2008

A Challenge

hugging in churchPJ Jordan came into my office at the church on Tuesday with a challenge to consider how we might encourage people to use the connections we already have with other people to make the world a better place. For PJ, this almost always takes the form of a smile, a kind word and letting someone else go first in line. But she also tries to hug two or three strangers a day, first asking if the person minds a hug.

So my first answer was that PJ and I sat down and crafted today's religion column for the Tribune & Georgian which shares this idea and challenges others to take up random acts of kindness as an ongoing practice. The article is online here: Random Acts of Kindness.

After my meeting with PJ, I went to the post office and let the person in line behind me go first. He smiled and I felt great. Now it's your turn...

peace,
Frank+


A previous YouTube video of the year on free hugs.


The youth at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Brunswick are also online offering free hugs on video.

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 8/22/2008 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Another Challenge: Accepting those random acts of love from others! I must admit, a lot of the time I feel guilty when somebody wants to do something kind for me. I think,"No, I should be the one doing this for you. My life is fine. I don't deserve this."

    Well, maybe I don't deserve it. But, the other person deserves their chance to do Jesus' work too. Its a challenge for me to remember that.

    Are there any takers who need to perform some random acts of kindness in my yard? I don't see grass anymore--only live oak debris. JUST KIDDING!!!! REALLY!!!

    Seriously, Fay has provided us with many opportunities for those acts today! :)Hope y'all fared well through the storm!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home