Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

12/25/2008

Santa's Request

The following poem is by King of Peace's own Dale Bundy, written for this Christmas and shared here as his gift to us all:

I climb down chimneys
On Christmas Eve,
I get all covered with soot,
And I ride round the world,
In that creaky old sleigh,
That seat is real hard on my butt.

My bag is full of presents and toys,
But it always brings tears to my eyes,
That I can’t fill some of the children’s requests,
No matter how hard I try.

You see,
I can’t wrap up a daddy whose left,
Or a mommy whose died and is gone,
I can’t send someone,
To hold little children,
Who spend much of life all alone.

I can’t cure the sick,
I can’t take back words,
I can’t mend lives torn apart,
I only have one night,
To accomplish my task,
But these undone things,
Still weigh on my heart.

I wish I could stop at every house,
But in some there’s just no Christmas there,
And it’s only because I have so much to do,
And believe me,
I really do care.

I see many homes,
On my trip round the world,
And each year the number grows,
Of the homes that I leave full of sadness,
And I can’t find my HO HO HO’s

So If you can please help Santa,
Just reach out to someone in need,
And spread Christmas cheer ,
To those who have less,
No matter how small the deed.


And don’t forget a prayer of thanks,
To God who reigns on high,
And remember those who need it the most,
But for his grace go you and I.

Thanks,

Merry Christmas, Santa Claus

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 12/25/2008 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mr. Bundy,

    A very nice poem! As a child I sat waiting for Santa with the hope he could make things OK.

    Last night, I saw my oldest doing the very same.

    Thank you, for the hope, for the thought that one can make a difference.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home