Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

3/04/2009

I Am Episcopalian



The title of this post is not surprising for an Episcopal priest to write. But the title comes from a new "micro site" of The Episcopal Church appropriately found at www.iamepiscopalian.org. The site states is purpose as
to see and hear the very personal reasons we choose to be Episcopalians. Our controversies and conversations have been public. Our governance is transparent. You are free to see our imperfections, as well as share our joy in that which unites us—our openness, honesty and faith.
There is even a chance to post your own video additions (of no more than 90 seconds) to the site. Fran Moneleone of Ocean Grove, New Jersey says, "Some of us carry burdens with us but we all know that by the time we leave [church] our burdens will be lifted and our hearts will be lighter,"

I tend not to push a denomination as I know Christ is present in all sorts of churches. That said, I love The Episcopal Church and find it the place where I can best live into being the person God called me to be. I found in The Episcopal Church a place where I could bring doubts and uncertainty openly. Questions were welcomed and all were encouraged to come and worship and live into the answers together. I also found a more meaningful (for me) connection to the holiness, mystery and wonder that is God in liturgical worship and in other ancient traditions of the church that spoke to me very deeply. I still value these things about this little corner of the Kingdom of God. What attracts you to The Episcopal Church?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Note:
Tonight we begin our Lenten study "How We Got the Bible" where we will read for ourselves some of the texts that didn't make the cut and learn how the 66 books in the Bible came to be our scripture. Wednesdays 7-8 p.m. The handouts I created for this study are online here: How We Got the Bible and the also essential Additional handout.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home