Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/12/2009

Piety, Study and Action

Yesterday, I shared the 22 questions that John Welsey's Holy Club members of considered every day. Today, I want to share a short group of questions I gather with four others to ask each week:

    Piety
  1. Have I maintained my commitments in my Rule of Life?
  2. With what other spiritual aids have I nourished my union with Christ?
  3. What moment did I feel closest to Christ?

  4. Study
  5. What have I studied that has increased my understanding of my relationship with God?

  6. Action
  7. Apostolic Successes and disappointments—in my family, in my work, in my environment
  8. How did my previous plans work out?
  9. News of the Christian community?
  10. What are my plans for the coming week?
  11. Thanksgivings and intercessions.
symbol of Cursillo for the Diocese of GeorgiaThese questions are those created for a Cursillo Reunion Group. Cursillo is a three-day retreat held in the Episcopal and Catholic churches. It is like Walk to Emmaus in the Methodist church and Tres Dias in other denominations, including pentecostal churches. Cursillo means "short course" and it is intended to be a short course in Christianity. The talks are given mostly by lay people about how they live out their faith day to day.

The weekly gathering to ask the questions above is a discipline strongly suggested for those who have attended Cursillo as a way of holding yourself accountable for keeping your commitments in the faith.

Knowing you have to sit down with others and answer for how you have been reading the Bible and praying, studying in the faith, and taking action based on your faith, is a great way to encourage faithfulness within yourself and the people with whom you meet. Just asking yourself about each week of your life, "What moment did I feel closest to Christ?" is highly revealing.

I encourage you to find a group that can hold itself mutually accountable for acting on your faith. Most churches have an opportunity for this through any one of the many groups that meet there. If you are at King of Peace, we can find room for you in one of the several Cursillo Reunion Groups whether you have attended Cursillo or not, and if you attend King of Peace and are interested in an upcoming Cursillo retreat, please speak to me in person.

In the archives is the religion column Creating a Rule of Life.

peace,

Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 1/02/2013 5:24 PM, Blogger myronboice said…

    I am in a Cursillo reunion group with from 4-7 men and we have met for 4-5 years. The problem is that the others do not follow the P-S-A format, rather, they give weekly anecdotes of their one or more, "God-moments", i.e., incidents that brought God to the fore. I want to get them on track but they ignore what I say. I am simply going to ask the purpose of this group and just get a personal clarification. I did my best to explain and urge them to get a life plan,to no avail.Men are set in their ways and they will do what is comfortable.

     
  • At 1/02/2013 5:24 PM, Blogger myronboice said…

    I am in a Cursillo reunion group with from 4-7 men and we have met for 4-5 years. The problem is that the others do not follow the P-S-A format, rather, they give weekly anecdotes of their one or more, "God-moments", i.e., incidents that brought God to the fore. I want to get them on track but they ignore what I say. I am simply going to ask the purpose of this group and just get a personal clarification. I did my best to explain and urge them to get a life plan,to no avail.Men are set in their ways and they will do what is comfortable.

     
  • At 8/03/2019 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Find a new group to join, or start a group with those who will follow the format.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home