Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/01/2005

What I wish I'd said

Don't you hate it when the quick comeback comes to you too slowly? On Sunday, my wife, Victoria, and I were signing some of our books at the reopening of the Camden County Library. Since I was already going, they asked me to say the invocation. I brought my Bible and read Ecclesiastes 12:12,
And furthermore, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
That comedy bit aside, I went on to say how in the Judeo-Christian tradition, we are people of the book and we had long ago aided in the creation of libraries and universities as we knew that God is Truth and in seeking knowledge of the world, we also come to know more of God. Then I prayed.

Later that meant my Bible was still with me at the book signing. Someone asked, "Did you write that one too." I said, "No, I didn't write this one." A few beats later the right answer came to me. I wish I had said, "No, I didn't write this one, but I know who did, and I'll introduce you if you like."

Another I-wish-I'd-said moment occured this week. In a recent newspaper column and this past Sundays sermon I wrote of seeming coincidences that I know to be God-incidents. This week I ran into what I wish I had said in that column and sermon.

Victoria and I are wrapping up a book on Anglican Prayer Beads for Church Publishing Company. It was while looking for a quote in Bill Hybel's book Too Busy Not to Pray that I read, "as an English archbishop once observed, 'It's amazing how many coincidences occur when one begins to pray.'"

That was perfect. But I wanted to know who said it and went on a Google search until I found the original. I'm glad I did. I like the full version even better:
“People tell me that answers to prayer
are merely coincidences.
I can only reply that when I pray coincidences happen
and when I stop praying they stop happening.”
—William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury
I think that sums it up better than I did. So now more than a few beats later, I finally got to say what I wish I'd said.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home