Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

12/08/2005

My own immediate way to God

The following is from Esther de Waal's book, Seeking God in the chapter on Material Things which was one of the ones we covered during last night's study,
God is neither idea nor ideal; he is exceedingly concrete reality and it is only in the concrete reality of my daily living that I am going to encounter him. photo by noted Benedictine monk, Thomas MertonThe difficulty is that most of the time I am so busy and so involved that I simply have not the time (nor the incentive) to see my daily life and work in this sort of way at all. Yet that deeply sacramental understanding which emphasizes common creation, which plays down the division between the sacred and the secular, which brings awareness that all comes from God, is something which speaks most immediately to my condition and I am a fool if I do not hear it. For it enables me to seek God here and now, just as I am, caught up in all the absurdly down-to-earth chores and demands which I feel trap me day by day....

I should look around me and see that seeking God does not demand the unusual, the spectacular, the heroic. It asks me as wife, mother, housewife that I do the most ordinary, often dreary and humdrum things that face me each day, with a loving openness that will allow them to become my own immediate way to God....

Care is to be taken over even the most unrewarding of chores.

1 Comments:

  • At 12/08/2005 4:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If we look, we find the eternal in the everydayness. In our world full of supposedly time saving devices we often become slaves to our schedules and our machines. Heed the words of Henry David Thoreau. "Simplicity. Simplicity." It is in the quiet quest that we hear Him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home