Men and Church Revisited
I enjoyed this blog. Found it looking for comments on "Why men hate going to church." I have a couple of thoughts (as a man) about what the book missed and would like your response.So what do y'all think of this new top ten reasons men avoid church?
1. Christians have turned Jesus into a neutered Mr. nice guy. He's all meek and mild and most men aren't comfortable with that whole "metro-male" thing.
2. The songs at church are mostly "Jesus is my boyfriend and I really love him" stuff.
3. The church hierarchy often bashes men and sings the praises of the female.
4. Christians are always talking about "personal relationships with Jesus and each other." Men don't like "relationship" speeches. Hint: what did Jesus preach? Personal relationships or repent, believe, and follow?
5. Men hate things like share time, personal testimony time, passing the peace/ hug everybody you don't know time.
6. Church has turned into a sentimental emotion-fest. Worship has become just another "Chick flick." Men don't like church for the same reason they don't watch Oprah. Nothing wrong with it, it's just a girl thing.
7. The Rector, vestry, education teachers, youth director, treasurer, and secretary, even acolytes, are all female. Men don't like female domination any more than women like male domination.
8. At church, the teaching is fluff and the expectations low. At least with Nascar, the skill is hard won, the expectations high, and the competition fierce. In a busy world, Nascar is a more worthy investment.
9. Men don't mind paying for something that impacts or improves their lives—boats, cable, satellites, etc. What have we done to worship that it isn't worth it to men?
10. The problem isn't the feminine side of Christianity. Men actually like women. The problem is that Christians have emasculated the church.
What do you think of my top ten?—Anonymous
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church