Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/08/2006

Inspirational coffee creamer

hazelnut creamerI noticed we need more hazelnut creamer at King of Peace (It is our most popular flavor of creamer by far, with French Vanilla second and Irish cream third). The hazelnut reminded me of the revelation God gave Julian of Norwich (1342-1413) who wrote,

And in this the Lord showed me something small, no bigger than a hazelnut, lying in the palm of my hand. . .In this little thing I saw three properties. The first is that God made it, the second is that God loves it, the third is that God preserves it.
While the properties do not apply to the creamer, they do apply to all creation, including you and me. God made, loves, and preserves all creation and God made, loves and preserves you and me.

It is probably an occupational hazard that a coffee creamer reminds me of a 14-15th century English mystic, but I don't think that is all that is going on here. I find that the most ordinary things can remind us of God and I am convinced that the Holy Spirit is in on that inspiration. No matter how insignificant it may seem, it is pretty cool that a coffee creamer can remind you of God's love.

Has anything unlikely reminded you of God lately? Be on the lookout. It happens all the time if you are open to it.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

4 Comments:

  • At 2/08/2006 7:11 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    That might be called a "Quotidian Mystery" - which is something that Kathleen Norris has written about.

     
  • At 2/08/2006 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Once while standing in front of the Tribune & Georgian office in St. Marys I noticed that the strips of wood dividing the window panes reminded me of the cross. The were old and faded with the pale blue paint peeling off. I took a photograph and framed it and gave it to my pastor. I have no doubt that it was God speaking to me and through me. It seems simplistic on the surface, but it truly was an epiphany. God was/is everywhere, we only have to be willing to see Him.

     
  • At 2/08/2006 4:40 PM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Cathy, you sent me to the dictionary with your comment. Quotidian Mystery seemed distantly familiar (probably from Kathleen Norris who I have read and enjoyed) but I didn't know until now that quotidian means, "Everyday, commonplace, ordinary." So my coffee creamer and William's window pane are probably indeed Quotidian Mysteries, or perhaps everyday epiphanies.

    peace,
    Frank+

     
  • At 2/09/2006 7:05 AM, Blogger Cathy said…

    Quotidian is my new word for the month and maybe year. It's a great word. The latest Weavings magazine has an article on Quotidian mysteries by Kathleen Norris. Our DOK will be reflecting on this at our next meeting.

    There is even a blog:
    http://quotidiangrace.blogspot.com/

    More than you wanted to know!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home