Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

5/06/2006

The Good Shepherd

In tomorrow's Gospel reading, Jesus declares
I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. The hired hand, who is not the shepherd and does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and runs away—and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. The hired hand runs away because a hired hand does not care for the sheep. I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father. And I lay down my life for the sheep.
The Center for Excellence in Preaching website notes of sheep:
In the Middle East to this day you can sometimes see three or four Bedouin shepherds and their flocks all arrive at a watering hole at about the same time. The sheep quickly mix and mingle together until the three or four individual flocks have disappeared in favor of forming one big mega-flock. But the shepherds don't fret this mix-up. Because when it's time to go, each shepherd gives his own distinctive whistle or sings his own unique little song, and immediately his sheep leave the others behind, form back into their own flock, and follow the shepherd they've come to trust.
In the present world all sorts of flocks mingle together and that is good, but we must remain in tune to our shepherd Jesus' voice to know when to break away from the other herds to follow where he is leading us.

1 Comments:

  • At 5/06/2006 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmm,is this yet another stepping away from The Inner Ring identifying with an earlier posting???

     

Post a Comment

<< Home