Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/26/2006

Becoming an Episcopalian

At the blog for the Episcopal Churches in Augusta, two priests have shared how they came to be Episcopalians. Like me (Methodist when quite young, mostly Church of God) they each came to the Episcopal Church later in life.

The Rev. Andy Menger writes,
My entry into the Episcopal Church was one of grace and love, choosing and being chosen...I am daily healed by the emphasis the Episcopal Church places on grace, hope, and restoration into the Body of Christ.
The Rev. Steve Rice writes of his interest in The Episcopal Church rising out of his studies in seminary,
In seminary I learned that John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, was a devout Anglican and wanted everyone to take Communion as often as they could. This was foreign to my Methodist experience where people didn’t like communion and complained when it was offered. I learned the early Church was centered around the Eucharist and Wesley tried to continue this emphasis on the Eucharist. I thought I could help bring the revival Wesley started full circle, by emphasizing liturgical worship and the sacraments. I soon discovered that with the itinerant system in Methodism coupled with the prevailing theological attitudes would make my endeavor unlikely. I longed to be in a place where the Eucharist was central and where worship was vital to the theological identity of the Church.
You can read both of their full posts here: The Episcopal Church in Augusta and also see a list of famous Episcopalians.

I have no more a stake in creating new Episcopalians than when I took this job, telling the Bishop that making new Episcopalians wasn't worth 10 minutes of my time. However, I did say that I would give my life to expanding the Kingdom of God and for many of us, The Episcopal Church remains where we can worship our Lord with integrity and most fully grow into God's grace and love.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home