Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/23/2006

Two Views on the Church

How much I must criticize you, my church and yet how much I love you! You have made me suffer more than anyone and yet I owe more to you than to anyone. I should like to see you destroyed and yet I need your presence.

You have given me much scandal and yet you alone have made me understand holiness. Never in this world have I seen anything more compromised, more false, yet never have I touched anything more pure, more generous and more beautiful.

—Carlo Carretto (1910-1988)

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. I immediately ran over and said “Stop! Don’t do it!”
“Why shouldn’t I?” he said.
I said, “Well, there’s so much to live for!”
“Like what?”
“Well ... are you religious?”
“Yes.”
“Me too! Which faith?”
“Christian.”
“Me too! Are you Catholic or Protestant?”
“Protestant.”
“Me too! Which denomination?”
“Church of God.”
“Wow! Me too! Which one?”
“Baptist Church of God.”
“Me too! Are you Original Baptist Church of God, or are you Reformed Baptist Church of God?”
“Reformed Baptist Church of God.”
“Me too! Are you Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1879, or Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915?”
“Reformed Baptist Church of God, reformation of 1915!”
To which I said, “Die, heretic scum!” and pushed him off.

2 Comments:

  • At 6/23/2006 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love it!

     
  • At 6/24/2006 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Frank... great story. Also, thanks for the daily reflections from convention. I addictively looked each morning to see what 'homefront' news was available. Welcome back.

    Bill

     

Post a Comment

<< Home