Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/24/2006

A Warm Oven

click to find out more about this icon which is on the pulpit at King of Peace
It's really important for us to understand that we're not called to be Christians. We're called to be Christ.

There is a difference in the Anglican approach to salvation and the revivalist approach to salvation. That difference is similar to being placed in a nice warm oven and being baked slowly at a low temperature versus being stir-fried. Think about it.
That quote is from the Rev. Dennis Maynard's book Those Episkopols which we are reading and using in a discussion on The Episcopal Church on Wednesday evenings. What do you think?

5 Comments:

  • At 8/24/2006 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I think there's nothing wrong with a little shake 'n bake. Salvation certainly isn't a once-for-all-time event but excitement attracts attention and shows that something significant has happened.

     
  • At 8/24/2006 11:32 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    I think our ongoing cenversion does have multiple "aha" moments which are more shake 'n bake as you put it so well.

    And though I have a moment on January 10, 1973 I can point to, I was really saved on a Friday about 2,000 years ago, though I couldn't appreciate that until after the following Sunday.

    But then the conversion of my finances when Victoria and I began to tithe was significant. And there have been other conversions of this sort and doubtless more will follow. But maybe I'm just slow.

    -Frank

     
  • At 8/24/2006 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the point you're trying to make is the difference between a faith tradition focused on justification or one focused on sanctification. Having had a little experience with both, I found that the justification model was so focused on the moment of being "saved" that life afterward got little to no attention. The sanctification approach seems more holistic and better prepares the believer for life in the world.

     
  • At 8/24/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Exactly William. I only have an audio version of the sermon, but I did preach one Pop Tarts and Pickles which looks at the justification and sanctification.

    And speaking of sanctification, there is a sermon in the archives that deals with the Orthodox church's concept of this which is called Theosis. That sermon is called Becoming Like God.

    peace,
    Frank+

     
  • At 8/25/2006 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm afraid I don't see the advantage of one over the other. I think there are too many people who think that because they've been baptized as infants and "marked as God's own", that's all their accountable for. Maybe it's because I can embrace sacramental theology in regards to communion, but haven't been able to do the same with baptism. There has to be a point when a person makes a decision for himself to accept or reject the provision God made for him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home