Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

9/29/2006

43 hours a day

Be still and know that I am.
Be still and know.
Be still
Be.

multitasking gone too far
Feel like you are busy 24/7? The number may actually be higher according to a recent Reuter's article Familes pack 43 hours of activity in one day. The article is based on a study for Yahoo Inc. and media buyer OMD. The study found that we multitask, with the TV going while we surf the Internet or talking on the phone while watching TV. We are often doing two or even three things at a time.

The study found that families own roughly "12 technology and media-related devices" per household. For the creators of the survey, this presents a challenge as they sort out how to reach key demographics with ads.

But for me, I'm aware that I am as bad about multitasking as anyone. I have learned, for example, to put down the book or magazine or mute the TV when my wife or daughter are talking. OK, I'm still working on that, but I am trying not to multitask family time like I used to.

And then there is that competitive side that says "43 hours in a day by multitasking? I can beat that. Let me get on the cell phone with the Internet on the laptop and CNN Headline news going in the background (it might not be the first time for that combination anyway!) and I'll be cranking out hours three for one."

Then I wonder how God gets through to us humans at all anymore.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

PS: Today's column for the Tribune & Georgian The pulpit vs. the taxman is now online. It is a longer and hopefully more thoughtful version of Monday's blog entry The IRS v. All Saints.

1 Comments:

  • At 9/29/2006 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We gave my daughter a cell phone so she could have it in the car in case she ever had problems. Suddenly it became invaluable to her. It’s amazing how things once believed to be luxuries suddenly become necessities. Maybe our ancestors were just as busy, manning the parapets, keeping the moat clear and plundering the natives.
    There are some situations, such as being a 911 dispatcher, when multitasking can be an asset. They can truly do five things at once. I have seen them answer telephone calls, talk to several people on the radio, fax a report to someone, take notes and carry on a conversation with another dispatcher, all at the same time.
    Personally I struggle keeping my focus on doing just one thing much less three or four. Hummm….what was I saying?
    But seriously, your point is well taken. Many times the relatively unimportant clutter in our lives blinds and deafens us to the things that are truly important. My days are always better when I start and end them with quiet time and time in prayer. My days are also always better when I put my daughters and wife ahead of my own wanting to withdraw into myself to escape the white noise that impinges all day every day.

    I wonder where blog reading and blog maintenance fits into the equation?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home