Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

9/28/2006

Holy Guacamole

Over at Church Plant My Eye Tony has an inspirational post on an incident at Starbucks:
Tonight my wife and I slipped out to Starbucks for a late evening treat. As I waited at the counter the lady asked what we would like. I told her I wanted three beef enchiladas with chipotle sauce. She asked if I wanted sour cream and guacamole with that. I of course said yes. We all laughed and ordered our usual Starbucks beverages of choice. She then proceeded to tell me her co-worker, the one making our beverages, went out to get some Mexican food but neglected to ask if she wanted anything. I asked her if she had gotten any supper to which she replied no.

We collected our drinks. My wife knew what I was thinking before I asked. So, after a very short conference between my honey and me, we slipped down to Guadalahara restaurant. We ordered her...wait for it...three beef enchiladas, sour cream, chips, hot sauce, rice and beans. It was great because they put it all in one of their neat carry out bags. We went back down to Starbucks, waited in line, and BAM - put that bag of chow on the counter. The look on her face was priceless. She knew exactly what was going on. She exclaimed "NO WAY? YOU DIDN'T!" Her beverage making buddy was stunned.

We quickly left out of the store. We didnt tell them we went to church. We didn't say anything about Jesus. We simply blessed her and jetted. I love that kind of stuff. I love reminding people that there are kind souls in the world who put random acts of love and kindness into play without strings attached.

In a selfish kind of way, I think that stuff makes me feel better than it does the recipients. But that's ok. The look on her face was WAY worth it.
It reminds me of the saying, "Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty."

peace,
Frank+

2 Comments:

  • At 9/28/2006 9:27 AM, Blogger Victoria said…

    Mmmmm . . . enchiladas with chipotle sauce. Imagine how good they must have tasted to the Starbucks employee. As Marge Simpson would say, "The special ingredient is love."
    I hope that I can learn to be that open to similar opportunities which will always present themselves - it is all about being outward centered AND willing to respond. It's about being Christ-like.

     
  • At 9/28/2006 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A pastor friend in our community often says that the world should be a better place just because we are in it, just because we are a blessing to others. And how often have I heard from those who wait tables that the Sunday lunch after church crowd is the most demanding and lowest tipping group of the week. Thank you, Tony, for being a blessing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home