Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

1/28/2007

Life is a pure gift

Resentment and gratitude cannot coexist, since resentment blocks the perception and experience of life as a gift. My resentment tells me that I don't receive what I deserve. It always manifests itself as envy. Gratitude, however, goes beyond the "mine" and "thine" and claims the truth that all life is a pure gift.
—Henri J.M. Nouwen (1932-1996)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 10/13/2010 4:08 PM, Anonymous Kayla said…

    Believe it or not, gratitude comes from well-resolved resentment. You see, babies are not "born" with gratitude. They scream, they cry, they want to be fed, period, by WHOEVER is there, as long as they get what they want. Some people, sadly, remain like that for the rest of their lives, even into the nursing homes...while other people apparently "grow up" and realize, that, no, wait, life is a gift, I AM AN ACTIVE PARTICIPANT, therefore I can take care of myself and others. Those that have envy in their hearts(I did!)think of life as a "burden" to be carried, something "imposed" on them... grow up already!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home