Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/26/2007

Grateful

Today is the seventh anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood. In some ways, that day doesn't seem so long ago. It feels like the Bishop was just wondering aloud at the service if the laying on of hands would "take" given all my curly hair. But then again, I have less of that hair now and more of it is gray. Frank's ordinationThere is also the picture here of the service reminding me that the sanctuary in which I was ordained is gone. I was ordained at Trinity Episcopal Church in Statesboro, the church that sponsored me in seminary. The church building alongside the Georgia Southern campus in which I was ordained has since sold and been demolished. The new church building sits on the bypass and has for more than a few years now.

I recall Canon Bob Carter's sermon that day in which he challenged me to be the person of Word and Sacrament God called me to be. my favorite picture of me as a priestThere were some days after that sermon, when I was killing a rattlesnake at the church (seven so far), or chopping down pine trees on our grounds, or ripping out a wall in the house that was once home to King of Peace, when I would wonder about what all that had to do with Word and Sacrament. But the answer was that those actions had plenty to do with what Bob charged me with that day. The Bishop would tell me along the way that he couldn't afford for me to find out what a priest did for a living, because he needed me doing what I was doing.

Colby Hodge's baptismI think too of all the wonderful things that I have been able to see happen here in Kingsland in those seven years. I know that much of it is what God got done in spite of me rather than because me, but I'm grateful for all of it. Grateful for the many opportunities to preach, to celebrate communion, the baptisms, weddings, and funerals I have been honored to be a part of. It's been a lifetime of good memories these seven years. There have been tough times too. But without those, the positive things we have seen happen in the lives of people in our church and community would hold little meaning.

And mostly, I am grateful that this isn't a farewell speach, but an anniversary. I'd like to think that I have at least figured out what I am to do as a priest. I have never forgotten the person of Word and Sacrament Bob Carter reminded me I was called to be. I know that the coming year will bring many more adventures in Word and Sacrament. And I know that there will be more for which I will be grateful when this anniversary comes back around next fall.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Light in the darkness vigil

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 8/26/2007 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Happy Anniversary!

     
  • At 8/26/2007 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Frank,

    Congratulations!! It is a right, good and joyful thing that you are a priest.

     
  • At 8/27/2007 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Congratulations son, It is hard, in some ways, to believe it has been seven years. Yet, when I think of all that Our Lord has done in those years it's hard to believe it was all done in seven short years.

    Can't wait to see what He has for the year ahead. In the end, it is all good because it is God's work.

    Love and respect,
    Your Mom

     

Post a Comment

<< Home