Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

9/17/2007

A Case of the Mondays


Monday is my day off, so this blog was put together last week and just posted this morning. It is a group of prayers from the Church of England's Prayer page at their website. These are work-related prayers for those headed once more into the breach, rather than enjoying a day of rest (rest in the sense of the domestic bliss of cutting the grass and buying groceries that is). Enjoy!

Before work
Forth in thy name, O Lord, I go,
my daily labour to pursue,
thee, only thee, resolved to know,
in all I think, or speak, or do.
—Charles Wesley

A Commuter’s Prayer
I failed to get a seat – again,
too many people on the train.
We’re stuck in a tunnel;
everybody’s sighing;
we’re not moving.
I breathe in –
‘Let me know your peace and grace.’
I breathe out –
‘And help me share it with the people here.’
Breathe in.
Breathe out.
For the sake of my sanity.
For the sake of your kingdom.
—Sheridan James

Inspiration needed
Great creator God,
maker of all things,
you called forth beauty
from emptiness
and order
from chaos.

Is it heretical to ask:
Was it so effortless for you?
Did you struggle, Lord,
to shape the mountain ranges?
Or did you just speak and it was so?

This work you’ve given me, Lord,
it’s supposed to be ‘creative’
but so often it is toil, and pain, and struggle.
Sometimes bringing something new to birth
is like trying to blow a boulder uphill
with a straw –
the effort is exhausting.

Lord, would you help me?
And would the same Spirit that hovered
over the face of the waters,
that breathed human life into being,
be with me in this work?
—Tracey Messenger


These prayers are taken from Pocket Prayers for Work, Church House Publishing (2004), compiled by Mark Greene.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At 9/17/2007 2:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hate to take advantage of your blog, but I just wanna say thanks to the 10 am congregation for letting me walk around 2 hours with my pants unzipped an nooo one telling me! :P I would tell you guys! Lovely post, by the way.

     
  • At 9/17/2007 7:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, I was at the 10 am service and I would offer two explanations for why no one mentioned your unzipped pants: 1)They, like me, don't tend to look at people's crotches; and 2)it just wasn't noticeable. Because, had I noticed, I would have quietly let you know. So, I deduce that it just wasn't noticeable.

     
  • At 9/17/2007 7:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're welcome. We were enjoying the view.:)

    No, really...we probably didn't even notice!

     
  • At 9/17/2007 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOL! Well I'm glad, anyway. At least we all had us a chuckle now.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home