Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

1/06/2008

Friendship with Christ


A person who approaches Christ
with flattery makes no impression.

One who pretends to moral virtue
is seen for what he is.

A person who takes pride in religious
observance is not to be respected.

One who demands friendship
is gently spurned.

Friendship with Christ cannot
be claimed, but only received.
It is not a right, but a priviledge.

Open your heart to Christ,
and he will enter.
Come to him on your knees,
and he will raise you up.

—ancient saying from Robert van De Weyer's book
Celtic Praise


Burning of the Greens
We'll get the Low Country Boil cooking and the oysters steaming about 6 p.m. as the bonfire gets underway for our annual burning of the greens. It's a fun party. We hope to see you there.

1 Comments:

  • At 1/10/2008 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lord, I don't know how to make forgiveness happen. I can't cleanse my heart or change my feelings. I don't know how to trust, and I'm afraid to hold me heart open. But today I'm making a choice to forgive. I know I'll have to choose again and again until you make forgiveness real and complete in me. Please God, give me the willingness and strength to perservere in choosing until forgiveness is accomplished in me by Your power.

    I choose to forgive my father for...
    I choose to forgive my mother for...
    Forgive me for all me sinful responses.

    Father, I let go of all resentments and bitterness stored up in my heart. Wash me clean. Forgive me for all the condemning judgements I have made. Give me a new and right spirit that will help enable me to hate sin but look with Your compassion and love upon sinners. Heal the wounded heart of the child within me. Pour Your love in. Bless those who wounded me.

    Forgive me, Lord, for projecting childish pictures of my parents on to You, and onto others, especially those I love. Bring those pictures to death. Bring my childish ways and expectations to death. Let Your light shine into all the hidden places of my heart. Enlighten the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see You and love You as You really are, and to walk in Your ways.

    In Jesus Name,
    Amen.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home