Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

4/25/2008

Grace



Above is a video showing the true story of what happened when a man went to give away free hugs. I know the youth group at St. Mark's Episcopal in Brunswick has given free hugs (their pictures are here). Which seemed like a fun way to do what our youth group did another time in giving away dollar bills on the water front in St. Marys as a lesson in grace. People resisted taking the dollar from a teen. Many refused. If they accepted, the person who took the dollar was given a note that said that there really were no strings attached. It was so that we could learn more about how to receive the free gift of God's love.

No matter what you genuinely give, people first give back resistance assuming that there is a trick or hidden cost. God gives us unearned, unmerited love. We call this grace. We assume there is a catch. There is in a way. We are to live as people whom God loves. This is always how love works. In order to become lovable, we must first be loved (see Disney's Beauty and the Beast). But the love must come first. For if someone doesn't love me as I am, then why change. But if I am loved as I am, then I can become more lovable. This is grace.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 4/25/2008 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YES!!!! Hugs for All!!!! Loved the end where the girl hugged the resistant police officer.

    Hugs are good for the heart, in every way. "Scientifically" speaking, three hugs a day can reduce the risk of heart attack. (Forgot where I read that, but it sounded good to me so I've put hugging into practice for many years now!)

    Oh, and hugs with "I love you"...even better!

    So, since I am not physically able to reach out and touch you all through this post...Cyber Hugs to you all...I love you, and have an awesome day!!! :)

     
  • At 4/25/2008 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It’s amazing what a simple hug can do for the human spirit.

    Acceptance
    Understanding
    Compassion
    Guidance
    Peace

    But the greatest is LOVE. To know that you are loved can change your life.

    A hug can change one's day.


    Searching

     
  • At 4/25/2008 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I took my own words and put them into action.

    My neighbor’s husband died this past weekend. Not knowing what I could do I sent a meal and such.

    Just now, I walked across the street, knocked on the door and gave my neighbor a hug. She looked into me eyes and smiled. It was her first smile in a days she said.

    It is so easy to make a difference yet, sometimes we are so messed up in our own life, we miss how simple things can change the world. I plan to make sure she gets the hugs she needs.

    Searching

     
  • At 8/13/2021 9:39 PM, Blogger opbestcom8 said…

    Great work! That is the type of information that are meant to be shared
    around the net. Shame on the seek engines for no longer positioning this publish upper!
    Come on over and discuss with my site . Thanks
    =)

    Here is my webpage; 안마

     

Post a Comment

<< Home