Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/11/2008

Celtic Eucharist

Tonight at 6:15 p.m. and every Wednesday through the end of July (with the exception of July 2, which is Jay Weldon's ordination) we will have our mid-week Eucharist using Celtic forms of the service. Victoria and I have put together Celtic Eucharist services before for retreats and summer camp, but this is our first time to use these prayers at King of Peace. We will use a couple of different mainstream early Irish texts. This will not make the services radically different as some typical practices today began within Celtic communities 13 centuries ago. For example, the use of the Kyrie ("Lord have mercy") found in most modern liturgies comes from the ancient text now referred to as the Stowe Missal.

Our two primary sources are the Stowe Missal, first compiled in Ireland in 494 and further revised in 600, and the Gallican Liturgy, an eigth century compilation of texts in use among British and French churches at that times when there was a close connection between Wales and Brittany. Our particular modern English versions are taken from Brendan O'Malley's book A Celtic Primer: The Complete Celtic Worship resource and Collection.

Each week the readings, prayers and sermon will reflect a different Celtic saint to give us a window into the particular gift of Celtic spirituality. Tonight we will consider Saint Columba (521-597), the saint who went to war over a book and then lived his life in penance for the sin of having done so, becoming the Apostle to the Picts.

Columba’s Affirmation
Alone with none but Thee, my God,
I journey on my way;
What need I fear, when Thou art near,
O king of night and day?
More safe I am within Thy hand,
than if a host did round me stand.

My destined time is fixed by Thee,
and death doth know his hour.
Did warriors strong around me throng,
they could not stay his power;
no walls of stone can man defend
when Thou Thy messenger dost send

My life I yield to Thy decree,
and bow to Thy control
in peaceful calm, for from Thine arm
no power can wrest my soul.
Could earthly omens e’er appal
A man that heeds the heavenly call!

The child of God can fear no ill,
His chosen dread no foe;
we leave our fate with Thee and wait
Thy bidding when we go.
Tis not from chance our comfort springs,
Thou art our trust, O king of kings.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • At 6/13/2008 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just wrapped up a Christian Ed. program on the Celtic Church. My group must be more liberal than yours, or you're using a "cleansed" version of the service. No one in my group thought the Prayer of St. Ambrose was appropriate in a liturgy. Personally I disagree, I think we'd benefit from a more penitentially focused service, but I'm the parish traditionalist.

    Jeff

     
  • At 6/14/2008 8:00 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Jeff,

    Liberal/traditionalist. I'm not sure I get the meaning here. The prayers we used on this week were from the Gelasian Rite and did not contain something just like The Prayer of Saint Ambrose, though I think we could have prayed that prayer together had in been in the service. Next Wednesday we will use the Gallican Rite which is closer to the Ambrosian Rite and some think share the same source in the Liturgy of Saint John from Ephesus. In any case, at King of Peace we use a more penitentially focused service in Lent (Rite I Penitential Eucharist from the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer 1979) but we do not do so week in and week out through the year.

     
  • At 10/12/2010 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Are you willing to share your liturgy with the Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry at Stanford? PrGreg@stanford.edu

     

Post a Comment

<< Home