Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

7/22/2008

Taking miracles where you find them

I left out of the house early this morning to be at Wolfson's Children's Hospital this morning to pray with Laina Philips this morning before her open heart surgery. A very sweet six-month old girl, Laina seemed quite vexed with me this morning. I held her while she made sucking motions and I didn't feed her. I think Laina is convinced that I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed as I couldn't figure out she wanted milk. But I prayed with her and her parents and other family and off she went for what turned out to be a relatively short and successful operation.

This afternoon when Deacon Jay Weldon and I returned, Laina had a new line in her chest where they glued her back together after the surgery. She also had tubes coming out all over, but otherwise seemed to be sleeping peacefully. In between they had cut into her chest, stopped her heart, made a surgical repair then got her young heart going again. It felt miraculous. I know we were surrounded by vast amounts of medical equipment as well as combined years of experience and knowledge that were hard won. But the ease with which they did this seemingly impossible task was humbling.

I give thanks for the skill and care of the whole medical team. I also give thanks to the Great Physician, Jesus Christ, and for the many prayers from Laina's family including her King of Peace Church Family.

This prayer for Doctors and Nurses is on page 460 of the Book of Common Prayer:
Sanctify, O Lord, those whom you have called to the study and practice of the arts of healing, and to the prevention of disease and pain. Strengthen them by your life-giving Spirit, that by their ministries the health of the community may be promoted and your creation glorified; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home