Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/05/2008

The Sin of Racism


Over at The Washington Post and Newsweek's online religious forum On Faith, they asked their panelists
Three in 10 Americans acknowledge feelings of racial prejudice, and yet 9 in 10 say they believe in God. How does racial prejudice reflect on one's religious beliefs?
Columnist Cal Thomas writes in reply
If we go to Scripture for the answer to that question, we find "If anyone says 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar." (1 John 4:20) There isn't any wiggle room in that.
The Rt. Rev. Jane Holmes Dixon recalls her seminary professor, the Reverend John Wolverton saying, "Racism is a stench in the nostrils of God Almighty." She says,
Truth to tell, I remember few of the Bible stories we were taught to encourage those prejudiced views: something about Ham, one of Noah's sons, and his descendants being condemned to slavery and Paul, the great evangelist, telling Onesimus the runaway slave, to return to his master, Philemon. Mostly, it was not a sin of commission, rather one of omission; we were not taught that all humankind was created in the image of God and there was no explanation of Jesus embracing all who came to Him. Neither do I remember sermons that promulgated racism. I do remember that people of color did not come to my church, and that we laughed at the African American liturgies that we watched through the windows of their churches on Sunday nights. I was taught at home that people of color were less human than we.
I certainly find that judging someone based on race is absolutely irreconcilable with all of scripture, including the life and ministry of Jesus Christ. But I don't doubt the polls. I too see that there are folks who are Christian and (while they would not think of themselves as racists in the white-hooded sense of the term) do prejudge people based on the color of their skin. I know that I might, if asked, give myself a clean bill of health on prejudice and still have vestiges of prejudice in my life.

We are not good judges of our own views. It is our actions rather than our words that speak the loudest. Or put otherwise, your actions are speaking so loudly, that I can't hear a word you are saying. And in this, no one has clean hands. All of us prejudge others, if not based on race, then on friends, clothes, car, job or something else. It is too difficult to get to know everyone well and so we make snap judgments based on a variety of things, and for many this includes skin color. We are all guilty in this no matter our skin color or background.

The fact that we all do this to some degree does not make it OK. The fact that scripture teaches clearly that God made everyone and loves everyone should cause us to stop and think rather than to jump to judging someone before we get to know him or her.

That's my take. What do you think?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 8/06/2008 3:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We do all pre judge others to a certain extent whether that person is over/underweight or blessed/not blessed with social graces or even stepping out of an expensive car -- some people would label that person "successful" while others would label him/her a "snob." And no one would have uttered the first "good morning" to that person before jumping to a conclusion. As Christians, we are called to be more. While we are more conditioned to not consider skin color so much, we are not as conditioned to consider our thoughts/judgements about the well-heeled visitor in church who might need our kindness as much as the person who is not so well put together that we go out of our way to welcome because we feel more Christian when we do. I enjoyed this blog -- as Christians we have to be aware of our preconceived notions of ALL people regardless of how they appear on the outside.

     
  • At 8/06/2008 7:54 AM, Blogger averagecandy said…

    "your actions are speaking so loudly I can't hear what you're saying" Best quote ever, I'm going to have to remember that for my kids.
    My father is what you would call a bigot out loud, but at heart loves all people. I've seen my dad write a check out to cash to help out a black friend, a check he new he couldn't afford, but then turn around and drop N-bombs just because someone cuts him off on the highway. Thankfully I learned early on to recognize a jerk when I see one. Interestingly enough, we have never used the word black around our kids to describe a person, or any other color name. So far it seems like this small change in our vocabulary has had a huge effect, race is a non-issue to my kids. If I accomplish nothing else with my kids, I have accomplished this.I have put two loving kids in the world. My daughter won't have to worry about who she falls in love with like I did. I think that's pretty cool.

     
  • At 8/06/2008 8:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Averagecandy,

    "Thankfully I learned early on to recognize a jerk when I see one."

    It is quite a talent that you have that you can recognize a jerk before getting to know that person.

    Hmmmmmmmmm...is it OK to have a prejudice against jerks?

     
  • At 8/07/2008 4:41 PM, Blogger averagecandy said…

    Anon,
    I didn't say immediately. I've known my dad for 27 years now, I think it's safe to say I've gotten to know him well enough to say he's a jerk. I'm not prejudiced against any particular group of jerks, I dislike all jerks equally. Prejudice means to dismiss, dislike or to disadvantage someone in advance. I wait until I *know* someone is a jerk to dislike someone. I give everyone a fair shake, and I think anyone who knows me would back me up on that.

     
  • At 8/07/2008 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Averagecandy,

    I was a bit confused because you said that you recognized a jerk when you saw one, not when you got to know one.

    Thanks for clearing that up. I am sorry that you have a "jerk" for a dad. Maybe someday you will forgive him his shortcomings and have a good relationship.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home