Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

9/12/2008

The Body of Christ

Dave Walker's Cartoon Church

The truth is that seminary helped me get rid of my "stained glass voice" so that I could be more natural in sermons. But the cartoon above is Dave Walker's view of one aspect of seminary. He has a funny way of looking at clergy gatherings, like this view of a bishop's meeting where they are all vested and jumping in a moon bounce:

Dave Walker's Cartoon Church
I'm sure he would have some humurous idea of what my day will be like today. I am traveling to Statesboro to gather with all the clergy of the diocese for a visit by our Presiding Bishop, Katherine Jefferts-Schori. This is in place of our fall clergy conference.

I used to see these sorts of gatherings as a distraction from what I was trying to do here in Camden County. I would go, but I didn't look forward to these meetings. They were something that was expected, but not particularly enjoyed.

Over the past eight years, I have come to see that what we are doing in Camden County is inextricably linked to what is going on in the 70 other Episcopal Churches in our Diocese of Georgia and beyond to all Anglicans and beyond that to what every Christian church is doing everywhere. We are all doing one thing. But that concept is difficult to get your mind around.

Now I look forward to these meetings and to gathering with local clergy in our Camden Christian Ministerial Alliance and other opportunities to meet with fellow priests and pastors. In these times I get to hear what God is doing in their corners of the Kingdom, which makes the concept of the Body of Christ more real to me.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

For just as the body is one and has many members,
and all of the members of the body,
though many, are one body, so it is with Christ.
For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body.
—I Corinthians 12:12-13a

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 9/12/2008 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought the first toon was going to make some remark about the white-knuckled grip on the lectern that most people (including myself) adopt. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home