Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

11/04/2008

Phenomenal Support



Today was going to be a tough day. Because of the need to replace the linoleum in The Preschool with ceramic tile we have two classes meeting the sanctuary (pictures of preschoolers in the sanctuary today are above and below). Then with Lavaughn's funeral today at 11 a.m., that meant that we would have the classes in the sanctuary from 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m., then move the preschool equipment and students out, set up for the funeral, hold a funeral, feed everyone afterwards in the sanctuary, then take down the tables and chairs and set up for preschool classes again by 1:30 p.m.

Insane? Impossible? No. Necessary and difficult, but possible. Due to the phenomenal support of The Preschool staff that change over went well. They worked very hard and without complaint under difficult conditions and had such a wonderful attitude about it.

Then came the awesome support of King of Peace church led by Karen, Sande, and Sandy a great feast came together that was beatifully set up and available immediately after the service to be convenient for those who had slipped away from work to honor Lavaughn. Carol, Bill and Linda played a mix of piano, guitar and dulcimer for the hymns. The King of Peace Ensemble led congregational singing. I know I will forget someone here but I want to thank Al, Martha, Leslie, John, and Melodie. Ruth and Melissa handled the altar set up and clean up for the communion.

If I have forgotten someone I want to add them. But I know that this list of the persons heading up the work only touches the tip of the mountain of people who brought food, worked in the kitchen, and also attended the service and showed visibly the prayerful support of the whole congregation. And all of this knowing that on any given day not everyone can help no matter how much they want to because of other necessary commitments.

I am honored to serve alongside such a dedicated group. My sermon is online here: Out of the Depths: a eulogy for Lavaughn Cato. For the sermon, I am grateful for the support of the Cato family for letting me reveal some painful history as a way of telling a miraculous story.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 11/04/2008 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It is amazing how it can go from being a church to a preschool classroom, then to a church again prepared for a funeral and back to a preschool classroom. The service was a blessing to me and I am glad I took part. We do have an extraordinary group of people that stepped up and worked hard to get this done and as usual the eulogy was right on. Today was a day that marks 2 others that I know that have passed and Frank did a wonderful service for them as well: Jesse and Tasha
    God Bless you all,
    Celeste

     
  • At 11/11/2008 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Many thanks from the bottom of my heart to my entire church family. As one son said, "The eulogy was brilliant!" And comforting and real. Lavaughn was a comfort and very real to me. I will miss him and hope he could see his church family in action from his place near the feet of Jesus. Love, Maris

     

Post a Comment

<< Home