Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

1/31/2009

One with Authority

In tomorrow's Gospel reading, Mark tells us,
Jesus and his disciples went to Capernaum; and when the sabbath came, he entered the synagogue and taught. They were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.
United Methodist pastor Tom Steagald of Stanley, North Carolina put it this way in writing Sensing Jesus' authority:
I was delighted to find something I'd never noticed before in today's gospel. The synagogue goers in Capernaum express amazement after Jesus silences the unclean spirit: "What is this? A new teaching—with authority!" But these folks were already amazed before the miracle, because Jesus taught them in a way that demonstrated his authority. The exorcism proves his authority, proves that he is not like the scribes who teach through case law and precedent.

It's as if the people in the synagogue sense Jesus' authority before they see it—and this applies even to the demons, who acknowledge his power before they experience it. This is a theme throughout Mark: the world and everything in it is possessed of a kind of spiritual intuition related to Jesus and his ministry, one that leads to or proceeds from amazement.

Whether the demons or the people correctly construe Jesus' power or interpret his intent is another matter, a relevant one throughout Mark. Still, the readiness of some to hear and obey (to follow, to bring their loved ones to Jesus, to intercede for their suffering neighbors) and the resistance and retrenchment of others (demons, swineherds, religious leaders) indicate a sense of who Jesus is prior to actual experience. This intuition seems to shape the moment of encounter and its consequence.

The synagogue goers' familiar benediction is also striking because Jesus doesn't really offer any new teaching in this passage. We know from Luke 4—and from earlier in Mark—that Jesus is teaching and preaching the kingdom of God, and that his emphasis is different from John's: while the baptizer preaches repentance to prepare for the coming kingdom, Jesus preaches the kingdom come as the occasion for and source of repentance. But the Old Testament writers also envisioned God's reign as a promised reality.

It is Jesus' authority that makes the teaching seem new. Authority is not the same thing as power. In the New Testament, power has an almost universally negative connotation, and it can be conferred, grasped or wielded because it remains external.

Authority, on the other hand, is internal—or, given that the Greek word for authority means "out of (one's) essence"—essential. Whatever Jesus does is a demonstration, not of external power, but of his inner life and essence. Then and now, many religious authorities trade mostly in the external power granted by position, and are eager to maintain that power. But Jesus trades in authority, which he is willing to relinquish for the sake of others.

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 1/31/2009 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Father Frank,

    your authority makes me want to fallow the lord but my husbands power makes me follow him. What am I supose to do then? I have one pulling me towered Jesus and one pulling me toward... Well I don't konw what.

    What do I do? He hates my church because I love it what then???

     
  • At 1/31/2009 8:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If I can't be myself for who I'm suposed to be, how can I see who God want's me to be.


    I guess i just got lost being someone else,
    I tried to kill the pain
    But nothing ever helped
    I left myself behind
    Somewhere along the way
    Hoping to come back around
    and find myself some day

    Lately I'm so tired of waiting for you
    To say that it's OK, tell me please
    Would you one time,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself

    Would you Let Me Be Myself
    Coz I'll never find my heart
    Behind someone else
    I'll never see the light of day
    Living in this cell
    It's time to make my way
    Into the world i knew
    And take back all of these times
    That I gave in to you

    Lately I'm so tired of waiting for you
    To say that it's OK, tell me please
    Would you one time,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself,
    For a while
    If you don't mind,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself

    That's all i ever wanted from this world
    Was to let me be me..

    Please, would you one time,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself
    Please, would you one time,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself,
    For a while

    If you don't mind,
    Let Me Be Myself
    So i can shine,
    with my own light
    Let Me Be Myself

    (3 doors down)Let me be myself

     
  • At 1/31/2009 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous,

    With whom will you ultimately be spending eternity? Do you follow your husband because he "hates" or do you follow God because He loves?

    The choice is yours.

     
  • At 2/01/2009 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know the choice that I will make. I am at this moment following God as closely as possible. My husband will always be the same but I will not.

    Thank you.

     
  • At 2/01/2009 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are so very welcome. Your husband can never take God from you! Ever!!!!!

     
  • At 2/01/2009 11:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous,

    Sometimes I just loose track of who I am and what I am working toward, I feel like I'm loosing ground, loosing the battle. I'm not able to find MY way in this search.

    Thanks for reminding me that I'm not lost as long as I keep my eyes on the lord, To keep following what I know to be good and true.

     
  • At 2/03/2009 12:08 AM, Blogger averagecandy said…

    For now, follow God's path. As you follow his, yours will become all the more clear. :) :) :) In the meantime, if you need someone to talk to, find me. I've been where you are. I'm usually wearing something with skulls on it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home