Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/18/2009

Silence No Option

The Rev. Anne Weatherholt is on a campaign to help churches "Always assume there are people in the pews that have experienced or are now experiencing abuse." She tells of meeting up with a bride she had married soon after she was ordained. When they met up again in the grocery store, it was a year after the wedding.
The shock came one year later when she met the bride in a grocery store and learned that the couple already had divorced. The young woman described how she had been beaten after the marriage, and said that her ex-husband often hit his dog before their marriage.

"It was a real turning point for me," said Weatherholt. "I had come out of seminary with a high belief in the sacraments; I had come from a good family background in which my parents loved one another and I hardly knew of any bad relationships.

"I thought, 'People will be truthful when we talk to them,'" she said, describing the pre-marital counseling sessions clergy conduct. "It was a sobering moment in a lot of ways when you learn that couples may not necessarily be truthful because they want you to be convinced of their desire to be married."
She goes on to explain,
Many violent relationships begin with quick, intense, seductive courtships, explained Weatherholt. "But once set in motion, abuse, which begins with intimidation, threats and attempts to control, will occur more frequently as the abuser becomes more demanding." Abusers will continue to intimidate the victim, and in violent relationships communication breaks down, tensions erupt and battering often occurs, she said.

"When they try to exit, victims are often beaten down, images are destroyed, and abusers are taught to blame themselves," she said. "Many times I see them like people coming out of a war, shell-shocked."
Weatherholdt advocates for the church being the one to bring up this issue, to talk about it with youth groups and help break the cycle of violence which grips generations of families.

How might we bring this up with children, particularly teens, as they begin dating? Abusive relationships are not God's will, and yet we remain silent. How can we be a voice for breaking the cycle of violence?

8 Comments:

  • At 2/18/2009 6:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As with all hot topics (sex,drugs,etc...)we can educate our youth until we're blue in the face, yet,unfortunately some still fall through the cracks and make poor choices.

    As for domestic violence,the majority of people, including our youth, know it's wrong. In general, those who remain in these violent situations have been there in one way or another their whole lives. The abused become abusers or tend to seek out abusive relationships.Why, then, do they remain silent and choose to stay?

    How do we give them the courage to leave and break the cycle in their families? How do we help them when they won't accept it?

    Education may be a starting point. I know laws need to change to better protect the victims. Psychological help needs to be more readily available.

    Other than these suggestions, I'm clueless. I don't believe that silence is an option, but more of a result of running into so many walls and dead ends.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In general, those who remain in these violent situations have been there in one way or another their whole lives. The abused become abusers or tend to seek out abusive relationships. Why, then, do they remain silent and choose to stay?


    What? Seek out an abusive relationship? Growing up with physical, verbal and sexual abuse, an abusive relationship is the last thing I was looking for.

    I was looking for a man who would just LOVE me! Love me unconditionally. Hold me, comfort me, just to love me as I am or once was. I was not looking for what has evolved into my marriage. I never looked for someone who would hate me for the person I am.

    I’m sorry; I have started again with shooting back at your comment.

    I have tried to understand how people can say it is so easy to just say the hell with it (sorry Father Frank) and leave. It’s not an easy thing to do, we get scared, trampled on and told that we will make them do something crazy (kill themselves). I can’t live with that outcome again. A copout I know, but It's a chain that holds me and I’m not able to let go.

    I hate the feeling I have inside knowing that people do care and want me out of this. I feel I’m letting them down when they are trying to help me. I can’t look them in the eyes, I see the concern and misunderstanding.

    Please try to understand one thing. People like me don’t look for this relationship. Too many years of it as a child are enough to last me a lifetime. I just want to know that I’m loved for me. Not being loved hurts my heart so much more than any bruise I can receive.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Case in point: You were abused as a child and now you are in an abusive relationship. The seeking out is not intentional but rather unconscious. It is referred to medically as a syndrome, although I cannot recall the name. It is related to Stockhom syndrome also.

    Anonymous, if you do some research, talk to a counselor, and look back on the patterns of your life's relationships then you may see that there is a way to break free.

    And, remember that you are loved; just not by the person that you want love from. Why do you want to be loved by an abuser? Don't you want to give real love a chance to come into your life? It looks like you never got the love you needed from your father/parent who abused you, and now you are attempting to fill that horrible void by trying to get love from another abuser who controls you. It won't work. The threats are his way of controlling you, and you must realize that you are NOT responsible for his actions.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 1:34 PM, Blogger The Bosom Serpent said…

    I think the fact that these comments are all by "Anonymous" speaks volumes. I witnessed my father beat my mother like a dog. I also saw her give as good as she got. I once had to put a shotgun to my stepfather's head and threaten to blow it clean off if he didn't quit choking my mother and let her up off the floor.

    Abuse is everywhere in every level of of our culture. To pretend that you can speak for someone else without ever having been in their shoes is ridiculous. We need to talk openly and honestly about these things. and leave our preconcieved notions at the door.

    Lord forgive us for our blindness.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 2:03 PM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    I am sorry for the hurt feelings this seems to have generated. In the original post I was wondering aloud more about how this could be taught. I have tried various creative ways to teach teens. But given the stir I created with teaching on the perils of illegal drug use (see Going Too Far if you don't know that story, I thought I better ask before doing something similar and ending up in jail (again) this time for real.

    I hope we can keep mutual care and concern high while discussing things that are painful. Just because the discussion is difficult, it doesn't mean the conversation shouldn't happen. I do appreciate the attempts to speak the truth in love and regret that some hurt seems to have been received, if not intended. It could be insult added to injury and that wasn't the idea.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Father Frank, November In My Soul and first Anonymous,

    I’m sorry for my post (second anonymous) I typed in haste and didn’t think about what I was saying. This is an unusual thing for me because I think and rethink before I say anything.

    I didn’t mean to sound angry though I may have been a bit, I’m really not. More hurt than angry, I’m not one to get angry easily but hurt is another thing.

    My (case in point) may be that I have been looking all my adult life (oh heck, a lot of my young life also) for that one man, Father figure or love intrest to show me the love I felt I need. You may be correct; unconsciously I may look for this type, I don’t know.

    Anyway, I just wanted to apologize for my comment. I am truly sorry if I hurt anyone.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 5:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am the first and third anonymous and I have been there and got lucky early on. I did not intend to hurt feelings, but I do know that this is a viscous cycle that is difficult if not impossible to stop.So where do we begin? There is not one answer for everybody, but there is so much in common with the victims. There are patterns as well that are all too real.

    Second Anonymous and November in My Soul, I apologize for upsetting you.I was not referring to "All" or "Everybody" and did not mean "Always." There are acceptions to every situation.

     
  • At 2/18/2009 10:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I prefer the post below!

    "All we need is Love" The Beatles or just John Lennon (but its true)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home