Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

6/18/2009

The Laity & After Service Coffee


This CartoonChurch.com cartoon originally appeared in the Church Times and is taken from ‘My Pew: Things I have seen from it’, published by Canterbury Press. (click on either cartoon to see a clearer version of it).

I love Dave Walker's insights. In this cartoon on the Laity, he identifies clergy as the ones on Saturday night who "have to stay in and work on a fifteen minute speach based loosely on the Bible" and who when dressed in street clothes are indistinguishable from everyone else. Yikes! I don't start on Saturday evening in working on a sermon and I my sermons are more than loosely based on the Bible. But even to write that sounds defensive. Thanks Dave!

Try another one. This one shows the all too often truth about after service coffee. Once again it makes me want to defend King of Peace, but do we really do better? Sometimes we do and sometimes we don't. This cartoon hangs by the coffee pot at King of Peace as a bit of a reminder:


This CartoonChurch.com cartoon originally appeared in the Church Times and is taken from ‘My Pew: Things I have seen from it’, published by Canterbury Press.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home