Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/22/2009

Words of Eternal Life

In tomorrow's Gospel reading Jesus has finished with his "Bread of Life Discourse" in which he tells how those "who eat my flesh and drink my blood abide in me, and I in them." Some who have been following him leave calling this a difficult teaching. John goes on to say,
So Jesus asked the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?" Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom can we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and know that you are the Holy One of God."
Charlene E. Fairchild considered this moment of decision at her blog Collects, Comments and Conversation in writing,
Does this offend you Charlene?

Yes, it offends me. It sounds like cannibalism. It feels bloodthirsty and unrefined. It brings things down to the level of flesh and blood, heat and flies buzzing, to reality. Yes, it offends me. It asks me to choose. It places me on a fence and says I have to jump, I cannot stay there. And I know that there will be no going back to the innocence of before.

But....
Where can I go? You have the words of eternal life! Despite my reservations, my twentieth century hang-ups, my intellectual pride, I understand this one thing, it all comes down to trust, to faith, to belief. You, Lord, are the Holy One of God. Therefore, no matter who laughs at me and my quaint beliefs, as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord....

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home