Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

10/22/2009

All that bear me evil will

The following prayer is ascribed to Thomas More (1478-1535). He may or may not have written it, but as he said at the trial which condemned him to death that he hoped to share the joys of heaven with those who condemned him as Saints Stephen and Paul are together there, then it is safe to say the sentiment is his.

The prayer is to pray well for those who bear us evil will and would harm us, which is a very Jesus thing to do:
Almighty God, have mercy on [insert name] and [insert name] and on all that bear me evil will, and would me harm, and their faults and mine together, by such easy, tender, merciful means as Thine infinite wisdom best can divine, vouchsafe to amend and redress, and make us saved souls in heaven together where we may ever live and love together with thee and they blessed saints, O glorious Trinity, for the bitter passion of our sweet saviour Christ, amen.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • At 10/22/2009 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How can I pray for love from God to someone who hurts me? How can I wish them peace in heaven when they give me Hell on earth??

     
  • At 10/22/2009 10:00 PM, Anonymous Kelly said…

    I understand that this is what is asked of us as Christians, but, Anonymous, you're right. I still don't completely comprehend how the Amish community forgave the murders of their children in the school house a few years back. I so admire them!

    Maybe we should pray the prayer anyway. It doesn't mean that God will ignore justice being served. Maybe the prayer is a means to self healing through forgivenss. Maybe the prayer is really for you.

     
  • At 10/23/2009 6:23 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    I agree Kelly. I don't think any one of us is likely to be able to pray this prayer as a heartfelt wish, but I do suspect that praying the prayer could help effect that change within just the same. Yet, forgiveness is not usually an act, but a process, which begins with an act of will.

     
  • At 10/23/2009 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just don't understand, I'm trying to but how do I forgive for the pain given? How do I forgive every time he is mad and...When he is the man he is.

    I can’t forgive the man he is, I can’t pray for his peace in heaven when he does not care that he is hurting another, the one he is supposed to love without condition.
    I’m just tired is all; thank you both for your comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home