Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

3/15/2010

In What Way Is God Involved?

How directly involved is God in your personal affairs? The March Journal of Sociology of Religion takes up just this question by way of a survey. Top consider the question, look at the start of this New York Times article, Most Believe God Gets Involved,
,When the “American Idol” judge Simon Cowell recently predicted the departure of the contestant Jermaine Sellers, the young singer shook his head in disagreement. “I know God,’’ he replied, pointing upward.

Two days later, when Mr. Sellers failed to make the cut, he still had faith. “What God has for me is for me,’’ he said. “In God there is no failure.’’
According to Scott Schieman, professor of sociology at the University of Toronto,
The interesting thing is that when you press people to start talking about things like speeding tickets or losing weight, a lot of people will weave a divine narrative in, describing God as somehow setting up situations or setting up scenarios for success or failure.
Pooling data from two large, national surveys, they found:

82 percent of respondents said they “depend on God for help and guidance in making decisions.”

71 percent believe that good or bad events are “part of God’s plan for them.’’

One in three respondents agreed with the statement: “There is no sense in planning a lot because ultimately my fate is in God’s hands.”

As for me, I absolutely agree that I depend on God for help and guidance. I believe that not all things good and bad are God's plan, but that people by free will can do things that are not what God willed, yet God will work all things together for the good. So I therefore think that I should make plans, but include God in the planning, asking for God's will rather than mine.

That's where I come down on this. How about y'all?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 3/15/2010 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with the idea that somehow God is implemented into everything good and bad, as his name comes up in each situation, whether through thanksgivings for the good or looking to him for healing the bad. I feel that if everyone remembered during these times that God IS always present, the world would be in a much better situation than it is right now.
    I need to remember to pray for his plan rather than my own. It makes me so happy when someone talks about God on national television.
    Like many other parishoners, I pray that precious words from God which are delivered through you will continue to touch our lives.
    And May God Bless You, Fr. Frank
    Melodie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home