Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

5/03/2010

The knowledge of God


There is something beautiful about a billion stars held steady by a God who knows what He is doing. (They hang there, the stars, like notes on a page of music, free-form verse, silent mysteries swirling in the blue like jazz.) And as I lay there, it occurred to me that God is up there somewhere. Of course, I had always known He was, but this time I felt it, I realized it, the way a person realizes they are hungry or thirsty. The knowledge of God seeped out of my brain and into my heart. I imagined Him looking down on this earth, half angry because His beloved mankind had cheated on Him, had committed adultery, and yet hopelessly in love with her, drunk with love for her.
~Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 5/03/2010 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Much more ponderable and mystically poignant than the prayers slogged through every Sunday from distracted "christians" who haven't fallen in love with God or eternity.

     
  • At 5/03/2010 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous,

    You will never fully know what is in the hearts of your fellow "Christians". Please don't judge others for praying.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home