Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

12/12/2005

Shop 'til you drop for the least of these

Ready to ride off into the sunset
"It was my birthday and you made sure
no one went without a gift."
Kyle and others head back with our lootYesterday, sixth through 12th graders met for Camden County Episcopal Youth Group. 21 of us—representing all three Episcopal Churches in our county—piled into three vehicles to drive south to St. John's Town Center to shop.

Once there, we divided into groups for a quick 30 minutes of shopping for ourselves. Then we met up for another half hour of shopping. This time groups were given an amount to buy of $50 to $100 depending on the size of their group. We were shopping for 12-16 year olds who will get their presents through the Christmas for Camden Kids project. Christ Church, St. Marys and King of Peace each gave $200 for the teens to use on their shopping spree. This second half was shopping with a purpose and the teens clearly gave thought as to what their peers will want to receive this Christmas.

Andrew presses his face into green 'needles' to try out a toyJesus taught that at the judgment, the righteous would be told, "I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me."

While Jesus did not say, "It was my birthday and you made sure no one went without a gift," that sentiment does seem to follow from Jesus' words. Christmas with Camden Kids is an important way the Christians in our county lead the way to make sure that no one will go without at Christmas. Through our angel tree and the youth group shopping spree, we do what we can as a congregation to support this ministry.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home