Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/16/2006

I still believe

The following was quoted in my Tom Logue's (My Dad's) daily readings from Celtic Daily Prayer and he sent it in as a post to this blog. It also serves as a reminder that anyone can submit quotes or original writings to be posted in this space. This text was quoted in the daily readings from the Rev. James Kavanaugh's book A Modern Priest Looks at his Outdated Church,
I still believe in the power of the priesthood, where sinful men are helped by sinful men. I believe in an authority that stoops to wash a poor man's feet. an invitation to the banquetI believe in a banquet where sinners learn to love, eating in company with their God. I believe in parents who teach their children the beauty that is life. I believe in the words that God has left for man, words that can fashion hope from darkness and turn bitter loneliness into love. And I believe in man fashioned in mystery by God. I believe in the beauty of his mind, the force of his emotions, the fire and loyalty of his love. I know his weakness, his cowardice, his treachery, his hate. But I believe in him and his thirst for acceptance and love.

Most of all I believe in God and the power of His victory in Christ. I believe in a Resurrection that rescued man from death. I believe in a joy that no threat of man can take away. I believe in a peace that I know in fleeting moments and seek with boldness born of God. I believe in a life that lingers after this, a life that God fashioned for His friends.

I believe in understanding, in forgiveness, in mercy, in faith. I believe in man's love for woman, and hers for him, and in the fervor of this exchange I hear the voice of God. I believe in friendship and its power to turn selfishness to love. I believe in eternity and the hope that it affords.
This quote was paired with the following readings:

Psalm 35:27-28, "Let them shout for joy and rejoice, who favor my vindication; And let them say continually, "The LORD be magnified, Who delights in the prosperity of His servant." And my tongue shall declare Your righteousness And Your praise all day long."

Song of Songs 5:4, "My lover tried to unlatch the door, and my heart thrilled within me."

and Luke 13:29, "Then people will come from all over the world to take their places in the Kingdom of God."

Please be encouraged to send in things you think or read to be included here at Irenic Thoughts. This is not my space, but ours.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home