Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

11/15/2006

Let him rest

The following is a monks' tale from the desert of Egypt in the 400s, giving advice for when someone next to you falls asleep in church:
Some old men went to Abba Poemen and asked, "If we see brothers sleeping during the common prayer, should we wake them?"

Abba Poemen answered,"If I see my brother sleeping, I put his head on my knees and let him rest."

Then one old man spoke up, "And how do you explain yourself before God?"

Abba Poemen replied, "I say to God: You have said, 'First take the beam out of your own eye and then you will be able to remove the splinter from the eye of your brother.' "
My Dad always said, "Everyone should get something out of church, even if it's a nap." I guess his advice was older than I thought.



In other news, plans are moving ahead for our Community Thanksgiving Meal this Thanksgiving Day from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. You can see what is still needed at our online list http://kingofpeace.org/food4thanksgiving.htm and also find out how to sign up to bring food or help.

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor + King of Peace Episcopal Church

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home