Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

11/12/2006

Look Alike?

God created man in His own image,
in the image of God He created him;
male and female He created them.
—Genesis 1:27



According to this computer match, I look nearly as much like Cameron Diaz as I do like Paul Newman and I look most like Starsky's partner, Hutch. Go figure.

Yet, the quote above from Genesis suggests that everyone you ever met rates 100% for the image and likeness of God. It's easier to see how I look like David Soul than to sort out in what way I am in God's image. What do you think it means when it says that humans are created in God's image and likeness?

peace,
Frank+

Live in harmony with each other.
Don't try to act important,
but enjoy the company of ordinary people.
And don't think you know it all!
—Romans 12:16 (New Living Translation)

2 Comments:

  • At 11/12/2006 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In Genesis 1, God creates humans, male and female, in his image, the meaning of "in the image of God" is uncertain. Does it mean a physical image__that God has a face and body like ours? or a spiritual image? or an intellectual image? Whatever it means, though, we can say at a minimun, that the Bible pictures humans as participating in the divine in some way that an animal does not. There is something of God in humans, and this something is crucial to the event s in Eden following the creation.
    From, "Who Wrote the Bible," by Richard Friedman.

    I actually read this today while doing my cardio machines. I thought since we have the subject here I'd share.

    I had always glossed over the creation stories as well, a good story but not likely. This book has made me realize that it's important to look beyond a literal meaning when reading the bible.

    God's Peace Bob

     
  • At 11/12/2006 10:30 PM, Blogger The Bosom Serpent said…

    I always thought you looked like the guy from the movie Fame.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home