Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

2/13/2007

Singing to the tune of Kingsland

The Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels in Kingsland, UK
The Parish Church of St. Michael and All Angels in Kingsland, UK

Our sister parishes in Kingsland, United Kingdom note two hymns sung to tunes named Kingsland. Both hymn texts associated with the tunes concern God being king. They are:

Thy Way Not Mine, O Lord
the text is in part:

Thy way, not mine, O Lord,
however dark it be;
lead me by thine own hand,
choose out the path for me.

Smooth let it be or rough,
it will be still the best;
winding or straight, it leads
right onward to thy rest.

I dare not choose my lot;
I would not, if I might;
choose thou for me, my God,
so I shall walk aright.

The kingdom that I seek
is thine; so let the way
that leads to it be thine,
else I must surely stray.

and

Thy Kingdom come, O God
the text is in part:

Thy kingdom come, O God!
Thy rule, O Christ begin!
Break with thine iron rod
the tyrannies of sin!

Where is thy reign of peace,
and purity and love?
When shall all hatred cease,
as in the realms above?

Click on the links above to hear the tunes and read the full text of the hymns associated with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home