Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

8/16/2007

The One Verse

The Bread of Life

Over at The Washington Post/Newsweek's On Faith website, the noted authors and the like on their panel of writers is answering the question,
What passage or verse in scripture or literature best defines your own faith or beliefs? Why?
You can read their answers from a variety of faith traditions at Defining Your Faith.

The Christians in the group varied from Brian McLaren pick Jesus' Sermon on the Mount, to Anthony Stevens-Arroyo selecting Mary's song, the Magnificat, to Martin Marty who emphasized the all-encompassing nature of Colossians 1:16b-17, "For all things have been created through [Jesus Christ] and for him. He himself is before all things, and in him all things hold together."

I'm sympathetic with Thomas Reese, editor of the Catholic magazine America who wrote,
I have never been comfortable picking just one Scripture passage to sum up my faith. I remember a Berkeley professor once trying to teach humility to a group of bright political science students: “The world is very big. The human mind is very small.” Add God to that equation and we are very small indeed. No single passage can sum up God or our relation to him.
But with that said, I do have to acknowledge that there is a verse so meaningful to me that Victoria and I have it written in large gold type on the wall of our dining room. It is the words of Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart." The fuller text (which didn't fit well on the wall in large type) completes that verse and goes on to verse 6:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart.
Lean not unto your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge him
and he will direct your paths.

It doesn't sum up my faith, for which I need more texts. But it does sum up what I hope my response is and will be.

What about you? Do you have a favorite verse or passage?

peace,
Frank+
The Rev. Frank Logue, Pastor

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At 8/16/2007 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually I have one that I have always loved and one that is new from recent readings. I remember them and read them each day.

    Matthew 6:5-13 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your father knows what you need before you ask him.

    Psalms 34:18 "The Lord is close to the broken-hearted; he rescues those who are crushed in spirit."

     
  • At 8/16/2007 9:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like Frank, I don't have one particular favorite verse. I know that the above two are in my top 15!

    Here is another one of my favorites: "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son." John 3:16

    Many Blessings Rhonda!

     
  • At 8/16/2007 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can't say that I have an absolute favorite verse, because meaningful verses pop out at me on various occasions. However, when I was ordained priest, I had this engraved on the napkins for the party: "for the Mighty One has done great things for me; and holy is his name." (Luke 1:49)

     
  • At 8/16/2007 10:10 PM, Blogger All Saints Episcopal Church said…

    God chose what is foolish in this world to shame the wise ...

    I Corinthians 1:27

    Kit

     
  • At 8/16/2007 10:12 PM, Blogger All Saints Episcopal Church said…

    also ...

    Woe to me if I do not proclaim the gospel!

    I Corinthians 9:16

     

Post a Comment

<< Home