Irenic Thoughts

Irenic. The word means peaceful. This web log (or blog) exists to create an ongoing, and hopefully peaceful, series of comments on the life of King of Peace Episcopal Church. This is not a closed community. You are highly encouraged to comment on any post or to send your own posts.

5/14/2008

Prayer Anywhere

You can set up an altar to God in your minds by means of prayer. And so it is fitting to pray at your trade, on a journey, standing at a counter or sitting at your handicraft.
John Crysostom (347-407)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 5/14/2008 6:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I find myself doing just this so often.

    I most often find myself praying while washing the dishes. It sounds crazy but I dislike using the dishwasher. I find washing dishes calming and very often a good time for prayer.

     
  • At 5/14/2008 7:14 AM, Blogger King of Peace said…

    Here is a prayer by a 17th century saint:

    “Lord of all pots and pans and things, make me a saint by getting meals and washing up the plates.”

    More info on Brother Lawrence is in the archives Dragged apart by distractions

     
  • At 5/14/2008 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks Father Frank, my son got a kick out of this one. After hearing me say this prayer while washing the breakfast dishes he is now running around the house saying "Saints washing plates". I don't often pray aloud but this one was too good to keep to myself. ;o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home